Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 09:08:34 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@hub.freebsd.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Argh

> They took the laptop and my CD player, but left the wart and the floppy
> drive behind.  I faxed the local laptop-parts people on Monday, and
> Tuesday morning got a call about someone trying to locate said
> components.

Good for you!

I've got a similar story to report.  Several years ago at the university
computing center where I was an admin, our PC lab was compromised and several
complete systems were taken.  The consensus was that they were long gone and
never to be seen again.

I moved onto greener pastures afterwards (a not from the sale of stolen PCs,
thank you).  But I kept in touch with the computing center and learned of their
plans to offer Ethernet service in the dorm rooms.  Lo and behold, station
addresses from the Ethernet cards of the missing PCs started appearing on the
new subnet!  Campus police were alerted and the wrongdoers were brought to
justice.

Sometimes, it's nice that a certain select few are dumb (or at least
uneducated).

--k