Date:      Tue, 01 Mar 2005 03:43:30 +0300
From:      "Andrew P." <infofarmer@mail.ru>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DHCP and PPP - dns/routes mess

Hello!

I wrote about this months ago, and now I had some free
time to look into the problem - only to find that it's
too complicated for me to fix it on my own.

The problem is my machine is configured via DHCP, but
I need to use ppp from time to time. PPP adjusts
resolv.conf and some routes for internet to work
correctly. But dhclient-script messes it all up right
on its next invocation (within seconds). This script
should probably be fixed, but when I think about the
right way of doing it (checking whether ppp is
running and whether it has got any relevant dns
addresses/routes and whether they should really
be taken into account).

I'd probably forget it and continue killing dhclient
every time I need to use ppp, but it all works so
nicely in Windows. Please, people, help me fix it :)

Best wishes,
Andrew P.