Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2007 05:08:43 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Milan Obuch <freebsd-net@dino.sk>
Subject:   Re: packet loss with carp on 6.2

--nextPart2443098.GNIvYS6fbv

On Thursday 18 October 2007, Milan Obuch wrote:
> On Thursday 18 October 2007 14:32:13 Milan Obuch wrote:
> > >
> > > I supposed you also had to change your firewall rules?  Otherwise
> > > your ruleset might not be ready to deal with carp and that could be
> > > the reason why you get the bad results?  Start debugging by looking
> > > at "netstat -ssp carp" on either machine and take a careful look at
> > > your pf.conf.  I also suggest that you add "log" to all you block
> > > rules and watch tcpdump on pflog0 while pinging.

> > > That's a pretty bold assertion given the limited debugging you have
> > > done ;)
> >
> > I am experiencing something similar. I am trying to put together two
> > PC firewall with failover. My rc.conf has following lines
>
> [ snip ]
>
> I did even simpler test: one firewall with one switch.
>
> ifconfig fxp0 10.0.0.1/26
> ifconfig carp0 create
> ifconfig carp0 10.0.0.2/26 vhid ... pass ...
>
> switch has IP 10.0.0.3
>
> ping -S 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.3 works, no loss.
> ping -S 10.0.0.2 10.0.0.3 does not work well, ~ 80 % packet loss.
>
> This seems unusable to me. I see no simpler test right now...

Can you do a tcpdump on fxp0 during this test and analyse if the loss is=20
in received or send packets.  It is possible that the switch is the=20
culprit here.

Maybe you can provide me with the pcap of this off list.  Make sure to=20
start dumpping *before* bringing up carp. i.e.

  tcpdump -s 0 -i fxp0 -w carp_ping.pcap &
  ifconfig carp0 vhid ...

  ping ...

  fg ^C

Thanks.