Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 03:42:11 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org, "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

In message <199510160028.UAA06809@exalt.x.org> Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
    writes:

>> As Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
>> >
>> > That notwithstanding, I agree with Joerg, it's a hack and users shouldn't
>> > have to resort to hacks to have things work correctly or reasonably, or
>> > even reasonably correctly.
>>
>> Speaking about internationalization, when will xbugs@x.org accept
>> mails with the 8th bit set? :--)
>>

>Expo follows RFC 821/822 to the letter. It's not convenient, but it does
>blindly adhere to the rules. Everyone else in the world seems to be
>overlooking the rules, mostly it seems because it's inconvenient to
>to follow the rules set out in the RFCs.

Why not use ESMTP there? It is transparent fot 8bit and not require
charsets management.

>Along the same line, it'd be really convenient if the default chartype
>table had its right side populated for ISO8859-1 so that broken tools
>could still manage to do the right thing most of the time.

Why touch default table? You can setup 8859-1 locale in your
/etc/rc file for all daemons.

BTW, just cheking, POSIX agree with me that "C" locale must be pure ASCII,
so we can safely close this subject about table propogating.
Your idea about 8859-1 propogating violates POSIX.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -