Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 17:15:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mysterious xntpd

But doesn't ntpdate do the samw thing in one quick step, without needing
anything after that?  In the Complete FreeBSD, it implied that
intermittent connections would probably do better with ntpdate.  When i
run it, it just seems to instantly set the right time and exit, with no
daemons or synch time to worry about.

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Dan Nelson wrote:

>In the last episode (Nov 11), Jonathon McKitrick said:
>> So what makes sense for keeping time on a laptop with a PP connection
>> once a day?
>
>xntpd :)  It can maintain correct time even if it can only contact its
>time source for a couple hours each day.  I believe it needs about 1/2
>hour of continuous connect time to synch after a disconnect.
>
>> I tried setting it once, and ended up with GMT (Zulu Time) and it
>> took me a while to get the zone right.  Now i just have a little
>> script called jtime that i run whenever that calles ntpdate.  Does
>> this make sense?
>
>xntpd and ntpdate both set the time in the same way.  You must have had
>some other timezone problem.
>
>--
>	Dan Nelson
>	dnelson@emsphone.com