Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 13:31:11 -0600
From:      Andrew Ryder <ryder_a@chasma.net>
To:        ripley@nostromo.in-berlin.de
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, jlschwab@uswest.net
Subject:   Re: Resume... (in defense)

What he might consider himself might contradict someone elses opinion of
his qualificiations. But age and experience have no relation whatsoever.
Granted the typical teenager has lack of direction and works at the local
McDonalds/Gas Station, but lets take into consideration the broader
perspective.

I am 18 and started a company (Legally registered corporation, not some
shit LLC) with someone who is 17. We employ over 30 people currently. We
have both edited a business plan and have secured 250K for our company so
far and have many other offers from angels. Not to mention a formal (and
very respected) BOD has been established, many contacts in the industry
(including Lucent), 5k of office space.

When a CEO of a software company/GM of a radio station and newspaper/CTO of
a software company doing network maintainence software for Dell and HP/
Accounts Executive (of 20 years) from People Magazine want to help out, and
read your business plan and think it's awesome - you know that you're going
in the right direction. Teens might lack the 'formal everyday' experience
but we can sure run a company. The BOD just steers us cleer of iceburgs.

I got my break when I was 15 and got a 'waved' to work in a company hiring
only kids with HS diplomas. Received a great letter of recommendation.

Telling me teenagers can't do anything, or college degrees are required to
go anywhere in life,  then you're missing the reality track on the record
of life.

If anything, teenagers have no boundaries in life and are not worn out by
conformity. They are willing to work past barriers adults perceive.

The fortunate company who gives the boy a chance would benefit from his
loyalty because they gave him the chance. He wants to grow his skills in a
real world situation and is willing to 'survive bootcamp' of a mentor/
teacher. He's alot more openminded to going places than adults/people who
think teenagers should just go run the fryer.

[Jun/17/2000Sat 19:16]

> Consider yourself lucky to be qualified to admin a microwave
> at a fastfood restaurant.  This might even help you to get a
> chance to get a real qualification in the near future.
>
> Greetings,
> 				Ripley

/* Andrew Ryder - ryder_a@chasma.net
 * Chief Technology Officer