Date:      Sun, 8 Nov 1998 23:12:31 -0500
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, mark@grondar.za, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who built XFree86 with Kerberos?

On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 02:57:48PM -0800, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> Here's an idea.  The only way automation will work is if you start
> building every package with an empty /usr/local.  If you can get me

Yow...

Rough estimate, what percentage of the MANUAL_PACKAGE_BUILD ports could
be reasonably modified to avoid work nicely?

What worries me about a scheme like the above is that the number of
conflicting ports will increase too much ( -> more user complaints
-> more PRs -> general chaos).

I'm tempted to suggest that an automated system could just

.if MAN_PKG_BUILD
BROKEN=fix me!
.endif

But I don't want to see the job of fixing 90% of these ports get
stuffed onto a couple people again...  Not unless those couple people
(who know who they are) really want that...  ;-)

PS.  I liked the LOOP stuff.  :)

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.