Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 1998 09:51:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Matjaz Vrecar <matjaz@vizija.si>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs RedHat

Internal integrity.

The entire source tree being available, on line along with all the
ports, means that you do not ever have to deal with loss of
compatibility. Everything is maintained by the FreeBSD team and
supported by them and these lists. It is what's called "single source".

You are not tied to them because they give you *all* of the source
code. And, you do not have to rely upon different providers of the
software to somehow maintain compatibility.

You can get software from others. I regularly keep Apache, Netscape,
Chimera, htDig, etc. updated from the respective source organizations.

But, the single most important thing to me is that the operating system
comes entirely from one source. This is *far* more important than any
spiffy install system or less steep learning curve.

If you have any other questions, just pop a note to me!

John