Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 20:01:40 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Michael Borowiec" <mikebo@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Securing the FreeBSD console

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 18:24:47 -0600 (CST), Michael Borowiec wrote:

>Uhhh... apparently I've pissed people off somehow - either by something
>I said, or the way I said it. If this is the case, I'm sorry. In no way
>did I mean to disparage anyone or suggest that I expected the group here
>to cater to me.

I can't speak for anyone else (especially since I don't even know
them), but I'm not pissed off, and I haven't taken any personal shots
at you. If you felt like you got flamed, sorry. But I think we all
should try to temper new users expectations. I read messages on here
from people wanting marketing glossies, someone to fill out several of
pages of Y2K compliance statements (these being sent in by people often
claiming to be Y2K consultants), ad nauseum. The software is available
for free, therefore people should be able to figure out in their own
minds that there are no glitzy marketing materials (ok, Walnut Creek
probably has some they hand out at shows). Some people don't seem to
get the idea that the majority of FreeBSD people are volunteers (some
people are actually employed by Walnut Creek, some sell books, etc). If
I went off on you, sorry. But please consider the above diatribe.
There are many people running FreeBSD, but only a fraction of those
have contributed to the project. I've only been using FreeBSD since
July, but I'll make a contribution soon.

>I am an avid FreeBSD user; have used it since 386BSD. I think the
>purpose of the questions list is to be a forum for discussing technical
>facts about the OS, but also to float suggestions on how a great OS can
>be made better. We won't all always agree on these things, or on how
>the OS should ship on the CDs - but that doesn't make me a bad guy
>(moron, newbie, scrotum head, or any of the names I was called today).

Yes, but you didn't begin this thread by modestly asking if these
*anomalies* (note I didn't say bug, defect, or hole) would be good
opportunities for development. You began with an emotionally charged
salvo.

I haven't made it personal, and I haven't seen any messages that did
(though you may get some not cc'd to the list).  I do agree that your
concerns could be better documented. See
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook364.html#714

>I still believe that the three-finger salutes should be disabled by
>default - but that's just one person's opinion. If I can contribute to
>the effort by documenting these holes, great! If someone would be so
>kind as to point me to the procedure for formatting and submitting the
>the documentation, I'll help out.

That's a big concern for people that have been brainwashed by
IBM/Microsoft/Intel into thinking that's a way out of a problem. But
many, if not most, of the people using unix are not used to rebooting
the machine to recover.

But the operator of the machine (this has been an unspoken or not often
spoken *law* since man created the first tool) is responsible for it's
initial state, i.e., kick the tires, etc.

>I'll just go cry in my pretzels now... <sniff>. :v)

May I suggest you cry in your beer ;o) instead. You won't taste it
anyway, and your pretzels will still be crisp...

Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.