Date:      Thu, 1 Sep 2011 10:56:54 -0600
From:      Charlie Martin <crmartin@sgi.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   kldload dtraceall exec format error

Okay, I'll grant this is probably a horrid noob question, but then on
the Free kernel I'm a horrid noob so I guess it makes sense.  This is
for FreeBSD

FreeBSD psmdev1 8.1-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE-p2

per uname -a.

We have a FreeBSD based product on the AMD64 architecture; I'm trying to
enable DTrace.  The file amd64/conf/GENERIC with which the kernel was
compiled has the required lines

options     KDTRACE_FRAME        # Ensure frames are compiled in
options     KDTRACE_HOOKS        # Kernel DTrace hooks
options     DDB_CTF                 # for DTrace

but when I try kldload dtraceall I get

kldload: can't load dtraceall: Exec format error

 From Google I get that this probably means some mismatch in compiles,
but I'm unclear what to look for.  Also, another big part of the
product, compiled from the same master Makefile, *does* have dtrace
enabled successfully.

Hints, suggestions, and pointers to documentation gleefully accepted.

--

Charles R. (Charlie) Martin
Senior Software Engineer