Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 12:44:29 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Jon Rust <jpr@vcnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question About Installing FreeBSD

Jon Rust said on Jun  7, 2000 at 09:24:03:
> Why people who obviously know nothing of the Mac try to give advice on
> them is beyond me. VirtualPC emulates PC hardware copmletely. Just about
> any OS that will run on a PC, will run on VirtualPC running on a Mac.
> Here, let me help: it's like vmware for Macs. Better?

Didn't know that, sorry.  What's the performance like?  I've seen
Intel binaries running on an Alpha and it's terrible.  Running an
entire OS under emulation of a different CPU doesn't sound very
encouraging to me.  Running a native unix sounds like a much better
idea...

VMware has this advantage, that it runs the second os on its native
platform.  Even so, I've heard you need a fairly powerful machine for
it to be useful.

R.