Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:40:59 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs pserver sig11 on 4.8-R

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 02:02:55PM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Scott Mitchell wrote:
>
> > We recently moved our CVS repository from a 4.6-STABLE machine to a brand
> > new 4.8 install, on another identical machine.  The server runs cvs in
> > 'pserver' mode, for remote access by various Windows/Solaris/Linux/FreeBSD
> > clients.
> >
> > We pretty soon noticed that the cvs server process was occasionally crashing
> > on sig11 (ie. a segfault).
>
> Does the new machine have ECC memory? If not, it could be something as
> simple as bad RAM in the new system.

It does have ECC, as does the old machine.  Bad RAM was my first thought,
too, but surely that's a bit unlikely when it's only one program that
crashes, and always at *exactly* the same point in the code...

The machine is due for a RAM upgrade anyway, so maybe I'll swap the whole
lot out and see if that makes any difference, but I'm not hopeful.

	Scott