Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 21:35:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   connection hangs mysteriously

I thought i would ask again since i am desperate.  The sysadmin is
trying to contact the maintainer of the local router i dial into.
When i call the ISP router directly (a lucent router) i have no
problems.  But when i call into a Ziplink router (local to my calling
area the connection hangs mysteriously as soon as i attempt any data
transfer.

I tried this experiment: I connected and started ping.  All is good.
Then i telnet into my shell account.  By the time the PINE screen is
displayed, actually by the time it gets to the menu at the bottom of
the screen, it hangs.  So does ping.  If i start ping and try
netscape, it loads about 1K then hangs as well.  SO does ping.  If i
*just* start ping, and nothing else, ping keeps running without any
apparent problems.

Any ideas?  We're stumped.

Please CC me on all replies