Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 1997 19:27:19 -0600
From:      Michael Porter <ocean@wavefront.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   make -j<n>

I've read a lot lately about speeding up make worlds.  On my P75,
overclocked to 90, with 40 megs ram, I get just over 7 hours.  I finally
manned make to look up what the "-j" did.  Ok, so it sets the number of
simultaneous jobs.  Two questions:

1) What's the default number of jobs?  I'd guess one.

2) How should I determine what the best number is?  It's bound to be
different on different systems, so does anyone have any general rules?
Rules like 486-2 586slow-3 etc, or something like that.

Thanks!
Michael Porter
ocean@wavefront.com
port0095@tc.umn.edu