Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:53:37 +0100
From:      Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav <des@des.no>
Cc:        Stephen Hocking <stephen.hocking@gmail.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & Hot pluggable disks (SATA?)

* Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav (des@des.no) wrote:

> It is a function of the disk controller and driver.  AFAIK, the ata
> driver supports hot-plug as long as the SATA controller does.  I
> believe most Promise and Intel ICH SATA controllers do, not sure about
> Sil or nVidia MCP.

Both SiI and nForce's should support hot-swap, though if ata(4) actually
handles them correctly is another matter.

I have an nForce 4 Pro board (a Tyan K8WE, CK804 chipset) which in
FreeBSD gracefully handles hot removal, but needs a reboot to correctly
recognise hot-plugged devices.  I thought I'd filed a PR about it, but I
can't seem to find it...

I also have an 8 port Marvell SATA controller (88SX6081) which needs an
atacontrol reinit to pick up new devices, but otherwise seems to work
fine.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst
    http://hur.st/