Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 23:55:53 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        lewst <lewst@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: where is KDE 2.0.1 ?!?

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 04:01:47PM -0800, lewst wrote:
> No, RedHat creates them.

Not exactly correct.  RH hires people (i.e. they get paid) to work on
KDE, and in turn these people have time to spend following it every day.

Nobody seems to be interested in paying a FreeBSD guy to do that.  So
some nice people spend their free time making/updating ports for KDE so
others don't have problems installing/upgrading.  And they do it for
free.

Seems you like biting the head of the gift horse off.

> Actually, I don't feel that being a developer is necessary for
> the right to be critical.  Without plain "users" like myself, you
> have no project.

Nobody said you had to be a developer.. just contributing in some way
gives you more of a right to be as acerbic as you have been thus far.
Ron for example spends some time keeping some of our ports uptodate.  I
applaud his effort and so do many non-developers.

> With regards to negativity, my experience with the FreeBSD ports
> maintainers over the past few months has been rather unsatisfying,
> so I suppose the bad taste left in my mouth was the cause of my
> frustration last evening.

I'm sorry that you've had trouble with ports in the last few months.
Would you like to spend some time helping us out?  We're overloaded
enough as it is with over 4,000 ports in the tree.  The ports team and
thousands of users would greatly appreciate your help.

The bottom line is, being a jerk won't get anything done.

--
wca