Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 02:16:24 +0200
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Known problems with async ufs?

According to Brandon Gillespie:
> UFS, which is horribly slower than async ufs.  If your BOX is on a UPS,
> and you are generally assured that nothing is going to cause it to simply
> 'go down', why WOULDNT you want to run async on ALL filesystems?  What
> problems are there with it?

Terry will no doubt give you many reasons why async UFS is bad (I even
agree with most of them), why we should be using soft updates (which I
really want to have but McKusick is still working on them I think) and/or
LFS (I'd like to have it too) but my current experience for a lightly
loaded machine on which I read mail and recompile CURRENT, many of my FS
are async and never got a problem with them.

/dev/sd0a on / (local)
/dev/sd0s2e on /usr (local)
/dev/sd0s2f on /usr/local (local)
/dev/sd12e on /var (local)
/dev/sd0s2g on /users (local)
/dev/sd12f on /news (asynchronous, local, noatime, nosuid)
/dev/sd0s2h on /src (asynchronous, local)                       (/usr/src)
/dev/sd12h on /spare (asynchronous, local)                      (/home/ncvs)
/dev/sd0s2d on /work (asynchronous, local)
/dev/sd11a on /x (asynchronous, local, nosuid)
/dev/sd12g on /y (asynchronous, local, noatime)                 (/usr/obj)
procfs on /proc (local)
/work/spare on /x/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/XFree86-3.3 (local, read-only)

I get panics (not often even for CURRENT) and locks but still have to lose
something. The risk is there, I know and accept it.

Async /usr/obj helps "make world" a lot.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: There are no limits -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #35: Sun Sep 21 19:28:07 CEST 1997