Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 21:37:15 -0700
From:      "Robert Shea" <robert.shea@onlinecables.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Securing SU

> Dan Mahoney, System Admin writes:

> > > what about sudo?
> > > better than su, because you get to control who gets to do what as
root.
> > Oh, I have four people who have root, and need it.  My web guy, my cgi
> > guy, myself and my assistant...All of us need full root, and all are
> > trusted (in fact one is a cousin and one is a fiancee).
>
> Looks like a web server. If it's internet and not intranet, turning
> off telnet should have been before it went production. I wouldn't be
> surprised if those were the only four people who needed access to the
> machine, which makes that straightforward.
>
> Since I'm on the soapbox, I have to wonder why the web & cgi guys need
> root access. The web stuff should all be owned by some user (not root)
> (or group). Access to that user (group) should be all they need -
> except for stopping and starting the server (damn Unix "privileged
> ports"). The latter is an ideal use for sudo. I've set up this kind of
> thing for outside contractors doing development on boxes I was
> responsible for. Yes, they bitched about it, and yes, it was a bit
> more work for me to set up - but I slept better at night knowing the
> clowns in question could only screw up *their* stuff.
>
> <mike

I agree... the web guy and the cgi guy don't need root access at all. to
solve the starting/stopping the server thing... either run the server on
port 8000 (or such) and map it to 80... or just write a suid script to do it
for you. Remember... no one is 100% secure in their practices (as evidence
by the telnet/su problem in the first place) so as you increase you number
of super users you consequently greatly decrease your security. (as mistakes
in this case are 4 times more likely then having a single root user)

Robert Shea
"Ophelia you made me cry, guess that's why I learned to swim."