Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:43:40 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        menger@dhs.org
Cc:        dan@freebsddiary.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proftpd and authentication failure

>Check which user your ftp daemon is running as, if it is running as
>nobody, it can't su to the user that is ftping in. To get around this, I
>had to switch my ftp user to root and the group as wheel.

No, sorry this is just plain wrong.

If you fire up proftpd from inetd as root, it will switch to the user
being logged in, or if an anonymous login to the user specified in
your conf file.  You do not have to change your ftp user to root in
order to serve both anonymous and non-anonymous logins.  That would
be a really bad idea.

-Mitch