Date:      Sat, 7 Oct 2000 08:48:50 -0500
From:      "Jim King" <jim@jimking.net>
To:        "Michael Kennett" <mike@alpha.laurasia.com.au>, <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Alpha SIO errors

Michael Kennett wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I've been receiving a lot of SIO errors over a 56K modem connection:

[snip]

> The sio0 port is being used by ppp.
>
> I'm at a bit of a loss on how to tackle this problem. The machine is
*very*
> lightly loaded (i.e. sitting idle most of the time), and I'd like to
resolve
> the overflows, as it is causing HDLC errors (bad frame check sequence
fields)
> in ppp, and consequently for the link to drop out occassionally.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated,

It gets worse:  I tried to use a GPS receiver to drive ntpd.  The GPS sends
data at only 9600 bps, and my machine was also very lightly loaded, but
FreeBSD would consistently lock up within a few hours.

Based on my experience and messages I've seen on this list like yours I'd
have to say that SIO on FreeBSD/Alpha is pretty much useless.

Jim