Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 15:45:54 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

In message <199912110503.PAA01950@nymph.detir.qld.gov.au>, Stephen McKay writes
:
>On Friday, 10th December 1999, Mike Smith wrote:
>
>>The same mentality that made the CAM cutover a "debacle" is making the
>>ata cutover a "debacle".

First of all, "core" is not really involved in this per se.

>It might be that these things have to be
>predicted by -core and handled "touchy feely" like:
>
>core:	What if we do this <decisive break with past> ?
>public:	Um, sounds scary.  When will you do it?  Will I lose anything?
>core:	We think a month from now, and you will lose support for <x> and <y>.
>public: We don't use <x> and <y> any more, so fine.

So far, whenever this has been tried, the public reponse have been:

public:        We don't want to change anything, ever!  It's so hard!
		You must support all my hardware for ever and ever!

>instead of the current (caricatured for emphasis):
>
>core:	We will do <decisive break with past> soon.  Probably today.
>public:	Oh my God!
>core:	It's for your own good.  You always complain and make it difficult!
>public:	We don't want to change anything, ever!  It's so hard!  You must
>	support all my hardware for ever and ever!

I'm sure you will notice the similarity.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!