Date:      Fri, 25 May 2007 16:03:42 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        lesi@freebsd.org, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, flz@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Future of XFree86

--X1bOJ3K7DJ5YkBrT

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 06:57:17PM +0200, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> Today I started out to replace all the old 'USE_XLIB' macros in the KDE p=
orts,=20
> the Qt ports and all the ports which are in Qt's and KDE's dependency pat=
h=20
> with dependencies on the individual Xorg ports, until it dawned on me tha=
t=20
> this would effectively desupport XFree86.
>=20
> So, before I go on or throw away all patches I've made so far: Does XFree=
86=20
> have a future as a 'supported' X implementation in ports (where supported=
=20
> means that certain macros like USE_XLIB work for both Xorg and XFree86) a=
nd=20
> is using direct dependencies on the modular X.org ports desired at all?

The lack of interest shown by the FreeBSD community towards retaining
support for XFree86 means that we are currently intending to remove it
on the usual timescale of a few months.

Moving to a model of direct dependencies on the modular X.org ports is
something to explore in the future, but it will be a huge amount of
work to get right and to maintain (i.e. new port submissions will tend
to be missing a correct set of X dependencies), and it may be that the
best solution is some kind of compromise where certain things can be
made optional but most things remain installed by default.

Kris

--X1bOJ3K7DJ5YkBrT

--X1bOJ3K7DJ5YkBrT--