Date:      Sat, 03 Sep 2005 15:29:11 +0400
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux directory hier

Alexander,

sorry for another answer to the letter. I myself hate it.

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 11:40:15 +0200 Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:13:31 +0400
> Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru> wrote:

> > The case with acroread7 was really in incorrect plist file at
> > emulation/linux_base-8 port. Plist is dynamic and doesn't use @unexec
> > command when uninstallig. Hehce we have errors at non-empty
> > directories (ie /compat/linux/share/locale) where third party
> > programms write files.

> Now that I had some time to look at this more closely: The right fix
> for the acroread7 port would be to install into PREFIX (be it LOCALBASE
> or X11BASE doesn't matter ATM) instead into LINUXBASE. The goal is to
> only install "support files" like libs and linux_base stuff into
> LINUXBASE and every application which an user wants to run (like
> acroread, a game, Oracle or something else) into the appropriate PREFIX
> (LOCALBASE or X11BASE).

> > The task is to create a static plist for emulation/linux_base-8
> > port. Now I should decide which directories are used only by
> > linux_base port and which may be used by other programms. Seems to me

> As long as the dependency is correctly registered, one shouldn't
> remove the dependency. If he removes it, it's ok to get errors (e.g.
> from dirrm). The only big no-no is to overwrite existing files. If this
> is the case we have to find the right solution (somethimes we have to
> allow such behavior -- like with ld.so.cache -- and look how to solve
> this cleanly).

Speakig about acroread7 port, it does the right thing -- it removes
all files and dirs which were installed by it. Not more and not
less. The problem at poityhat absolutely is not an acroread7
blame. And installing it into PREFIX will not help a bit.

WBR
--
Boris B. Samorodov, Research Engineer
InPharmtech Co,     http://www.ipt.ru