Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2001 23:59:54 -0500
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        Jamey Wood <Jamey.Wood@Sun.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compiling a sparc64 kernel?

Apparently, On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 12:43:01PM -0800,
	Jamey Wood said words to the effect of;

> Thanks for the responses and tips.  A new cvsup does get things
> compiling for me, as you both suggested.
>
> > > Hmmm, well, it should get quite a bit farther. Can you please
> > post a
> > > backtrace of that panic?
> >
> > Hmm, indeed.  The end=0x0 is puzzling and might cause problems.
>
> I'm new at a lot of this, so I hope this is the trace info you guys
> need (from Thomas's kernel):
>
>   /kernel data=0x202fb8+0xdfdc0 syms=[0x8+0x36210+0x8+0x2887c]
>   Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
>   Booting [/kernel]...
>   calling autoload
>   nothing to autoload yet.
>   post autoload
>   jumping to kernel entry at 0xc0030000.
>   sparc64_init: mdp=0xc0344000 kmdp=0xc0344000 boothowto=0
>     envp=0xc0342000 end=0x0
>   panic: trap_dmmu_miss: vmspace NULL
>   Debugger("panic")
>   Stopped at      0xc018479c:     ta              %xcc, 1
>   db> trace
>   (null)() at 0xc00ca80c
>   (null)() at 0xc018a2e8
>   (null)() at 0xc0189e78
>   (null)() at 0xc00310d4
>   (null)() at 0xc0031300
>   (null)() at 0xc0183ffc
>   (null)() at 0xc0030034

Yes, the idea is to now use nm or gdb to find which symbols these
addresses refer to.

> > A kernel from cvs should work ok, except it won't have support for pci
> > devices (which I imagine you don't need anyway).  You may need to add
> > support for the openfirmware console to GENERIC, device ofw_console.
> > If it doesn't drop to the prom, but you don't get any output past the
> > loader, try that.
>
> After adding defice ofw_console, I do get a little output from my custom
> kernel on boot:
>
>   /kernel data=0x1352b8+0x4d2f8 syms=[0x8+0x257e8+0x8+0x1b762]
>   Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
>   Booting [/kernel]...
>   calling autoload
>   nothing to autoload yet.
>   post autoload
>   jumping to kernel entry at 0xc0028000.
>   sparc64_init: mdp=0xc01c6000 kmdp=0xc01c6000 boothowto=0
>     envp=0xc01c4000   end=0x0
>   Copyrigh
>
> It just hangs right there, however.  I tried sening a break, hoping to
> get to the ok or db prompt to do a trace, but even that didn't work.  I
> had to power-cycle the U1 to get out of that wedged state.  And trying
> it all again gives the same result.

Hmm.  I was hoping you'd get to a mount root prompt.  My first guess at
what's happening is that the timer chip in the ultra 1 is generating
interrupts which are not being handled properly by the kernel.  So you
get an interrupt storm.  You could try setting the pil to something high
(say 14), on entry to the kernel in locore.s, which may get a little further.
Really we need a driver for the timer chip, which should be easy to nab
from netbsd.

Jake