Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 12:37:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Surplus 2.2.6 CDs available for promotional purposes.

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

This is wonderful!  I've been creating small snapshots of my own for a
while when I've managed to get my hands on the CD writer from work,
and usually pass the old ones off to interested friends.  That small
amount has never been enough to allow me to give a copy to plenty of
other people whose ear I have bent.  I can think of at least four
different local computer resellers which have heard about it because
of me, one public library, one High School library (<grin>), and quite
a few friends that would love to have a copy.

> 1. Number of CDs desired.

35 CD sets should be OK.  I will try to talk a teacher into using
FreeBSD in a computer class at our Vocational school (there's at least
5 CDs for the handson sessions), 6 will be given to the local computer
resellers to try out, at least 7 to friends of mine.  What is left
over will be enough to keep the public and High School libraries happy
(at least until surplus 2.2.7 CD's are available :). I'll probably
start by giving the libraries 5 copies each and if they have a high
demand for them (*cross fingers*) and all of the copies get checked
out, they can ask for more.  I'll even keep in touch with them (High
School one is easy enough) and see how many times they get checked
out.  All in all, that should leave me with a few extra CD sets which
I can surely find some way to put to good use.  Feel free to ship more
if you want (see below.. hint: tax deductions... <grin>).  Hmm.. think
I could give some to my college bookstore?  Could/should they sell
them or would I tell them they had to give them away?

> 2. Your postal address and daytime phone number (in case there are
>    shipping problems).

Chris Dillon
Reeds Spring School District
Administration Bldg.
Hwy. 13 South
Reeds Spring, MO  65686

Work Phone: (417)272-8173 (ask for me)
Home Phone: (417)739-1282

I know there is no actual address up there, but UPS, RPS, FedEx, USPS,
etc. know exactly where we are.

> 3. Some description of the kinds of advocacy you're planning on.  This
>    will help me prevent overlap should someone else in your area be
>    thinking of doing something similar with their own CDs.

See (1).  I will also create a flyer to go with it describing what
FreeBSD is, why you should use it, how to get help installing and
using it, and of course, to let everyone you know copy it. :-)

> I will then send you the CDs, domestically or internationally,
> completely free of charge.  We will pay all shipping charges, though
> if your customs office gets sticky about things on the far end then
> those problems will be for you to sort out and I probably won't be
> able to do much for you (we declare all such promotional items as
> being for promotion and having no commercial value, but some countries
> have been known to get sort of fussy about this - grr!).
>
> Thanks!

Uuuh.. THANKS!! :-)
 (*warmfuzzies*)

> - Jordan

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   (http://www.freebsd.org)                                         */