Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 2010 12:31:28 -0800
From:      George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
To:        "Marcin M. Jessa" <lists@yazzy.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Registrars with free DynDNS services of my own domains.

On Fri 05 Mar 2010 at 10:24:52 AM +0100, Marcin M. Jessa wrote:
>On 03/03/2010 10:42 PM, George Georgalis wrote:
>>On Mon 22 Feb 2010 at 10:39:02 PM +0100, Marcin M. Jessa wrote:
>>>Hi guys.
>>>
>>>Many registrars offer free DNS hosting if you register your domain
>>>with them.
>>>I need  a bit more. I need a registrar which not only will "host" my
>>>own domains but also in exchange give me
>>>a dyndns service so I can automatically update the @ records of my
>>>domains as an extra free of charge service.
>>>Do you guys know of any registrars that can do that?
>>
>>*snip* resulting discussion...
>>
>>perhaps this is the magic cookie you where looking for?
>>
>>in your registrar, add a couple cname entries for your dynamic hosts...
>>
>>www 800 IN CNAME userid.dyndns.org.
>>@ 800 IN CNAME userid.dyndns.org.
>>
>>then www.yourdomain.com and yourdomain.com resolves to your dynamic ip
>>

>Thanks for trying but you're missing the point. I knew all the way
>about the method you suggested.
>It's all about updating of SOA and A records of a domain.tld. You
>should read entire thread...

I didn't see a reason for you not to use CNAME like this, it's not
what you asked for but that doesn't mean you didn't know of the
technique. ;-) I'm just trying to be nice.

>My solution was to rent a small Xen DomU host with NetBSD which I'm
>using as my secondary DNS so I don't have to run it on dynamic IP.

There is a slew of reasons not to run SOA from a dynamic ip, not
the least of which is the chance your isp will begin enforcing the
TOS which probably prohibits running a server. And once you are
depending on 2nd dns, it's not really a redundant system, is it?

Suppose, someone in your dynamic subnet gets your ip and happens
to run a NS with wildcards... since there is no requirement for
caching servers to respect TTL in SOA records (it's the start
after all), that server will answer incorrect records for you as
long as it has your old ip.  Unlikely scenario, but certainly
possible. http://marc.info/?l=djbdns&m=103505741508241&w=2

I use to run SOA, and still do for private networks. If you are
scripting the process of bringing new hosts online fine, use your
static IP, otherwise it is hard to justify circumventing the
convenience of editing your records in a vcs, and pasting them
into your registrar's dns interface.

If for some reason you don't want to use your registrar's NS, I
suggest you put your primary and 2nd NS on your Xen box. It's less
complicated and less likely to break than a dynamic SOA setup.