Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 18:54:55 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        curt@kcwc.com (Curt Welch)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting oriented with RAID

As Curt Welch wrote...
> >  On 19-Feb-98 Omar Thameen wrote:
> >  > Thank you for this excellent information.  One more question:
> >  >

> >  > After you've created RAID arrays with DPT, is it possible to
> >  > later "grow the array" by adding a drive if you need more space?
> >  > I'm guessing it might be possible if you've set up RAID-5, but not
> >  > with 0 or 1.
> >

> >  Yes.  I do not remember the details.  Shrinking an array is a
> different
> >  story :-)
>
> But if you build a Unix File system on that array, there's no
> way that I know of to grow the file system even if you can grow
> the underlying array.

I think (I'm not a FS expert) that you could potentially come up with a
special hack to newfs to add cylindergroups to an existing FS. And update
things like the superblocks etc of course. Real freaks(TM) would want to
do that with the FS mounted ;-)

Wilko
---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --