Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 21:11:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Gravel, Emmanuel (AZ77)" <Emmanuel.Gravel@CAS.honeywell.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installation glitches

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Gravel, Emmanuel (AZ77) wrote:

>I recently purchased 2.2.7 and tried installing from both the floppy and
>CD-Rom. I have a dedicated machine.  P90 on a three year old ASUS board
>with a more recent BIOS (that's made for the board).  2 Gig Fujitsu IDE
>HD.  32MB EDO RAM. ATI Mach64 graphics card. 3Com 3C509B TPO network
>card (PnP mode disabled). SB16 Vibra PnP sound card.  32X ATAPI CD-Rom
>(fairly generic).  3 button Logitech mouse (serial).
>
>Here are the problems I went up against (I am wondering what might cause
>them and how to fix them).  When booting (either from floppy or CD-Rom)
>I get a first screen telling me I can either boot without changing the
>kernel, modify the kernel from a GUI, or modify it command-line.  I
>chose the second option and removed anything I knew I didn't have, and
>whatever caused conflicts (which I also didn't have).  Then I tell it to
>save changes and boot from the new config.  It brings an almost blank
>screen (except for a rectangular cursor on the top left) and hangs
>there.  If I chose not to modify the kernel, it boots without a problem
>(except a few warnings of non existant hardware).  This happens no
>matter if I boot from floppy (not write protected of course) or CD-Rom.

Did you include the "sc0" device and the ESDI discs? These are needed for
your system.

In order get the install rolling, don't worry about mice, sound cards, or
network cards. You can configure these later.

In any case, using the generic unmodified kernel should be "ok". as long
as your cdrom doesn't have any conflicts with its associated IDE port.

>Second:  when telling the partitionning software to check for bad
>blocks, it completely locks up straight off the bat when it starts
>checking.  My guess is that this is a problem somewhere in my hardware,
>since this option wouldn't exist if it did that to every computer.  Any
>ideas on what might cause this? This is, after all, a dedicated machine
>which will never have any other OS.

I am not sure about this. I seem to recall some problem with BAD144
handling. You might check the FAQ.

If the disc checks out OK in DOS you should be "ok".

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/