Date:      Tue, 05 Jun 2001 18:49:47 -0400
From:      "Jason Francis" <bsdsup@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop without Windows

>As others have stated ... it's all too common.
>However, there was an instance of a very principal driven fellow who
>purchased a laptop (with windows preinstalled) and then proceeded to
>format the HDD without ever booting the system. Because of the specifics
>of the license agreement, he was able to get a refund on the price of
>the windows license (since he'd never used it)
>He only accomplished this after a great deal of fighting, but it can be
>done. I don't remember where, but the story (sort of a HOW-TO for
>putting it back in M$ face) is posted on the Internet somewhere. Do some
>searching if you feel like fighting for the cause on this one.
>If enough people fought over it, maybe companies like Dell would start
>offering alternate OSes on laptops, or laptops without OSes.
>
>-Bill

There are two major issues preventing them from doing this.  Currently there
is a price war going on and OEMs like Dell are making almost no money on the
sale of systems.  Paying higher prices for Windows licenses would cut their
profit margins even thinner.  Another thing is that supporting machines
running tons of different operating systems would be an absolute nightmare.