Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2008 22:30:11 +0900 (JST)
From:      "Lachlan Michael" <lachlan@lkla.org>
To:        "Andrew W. Nosenko" <andrew.w.nosenko@gmail.com>
Cc:        Mark Evenson <mark.evenson@gmx.at>, freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Controlling Evolution MIME helper associations?

> No.  It shows that Evolution uses defferent path than Nautilus.
> Seems like Nautilus uses GIO (discovered by Nautilus' behavior, I'm
> did'n look into sources), while Evolution uses Gnome-VFS as your
> investigation shows.
>
> If I recall and understand correctly,
> these pathes are different since glib-2.16,
>
> Appropriate ChangeLog entry is (gio/ChangeLog):
>
>   6461      alexl 2008-02-06  Alexander Larsson  <alexl@redhat.com>
>   6461      alexl
>   6461      alexl * gdesktopappinfo.c:
>   6461      alexl Update to use both mimeapps.list and
>   6461      alexl defaults.list as discussed on xdg list.
>
> Workaround: use hand-written defaults.list
> (~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list) for enforse need
> association.

Ok, I found the mimeapps.list file in ~/.local/share/applications

Contents are
[Added Associations]
application/pdf=evince.desktop;userapp-env-XTALHU.desktop;
video/ogg=totem.desktop;
image/png=eog.desktop;inkscape.desktop;
application/x-ms-dos-executable=wine.desktop;
application/msword=openoffice.org-2.4.1-writer.desktop;openoffice.org-2.4.0-writer.desktop;
application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text=openoffice.org-2.4.1-writer.desktop;openoffice.org-2.4.0-writer.desktop;
application/vnd.ms-excel=userapp-openoffice.org-L7URHU.desktop;openoffice.org-2.4.1-calc.desktop;
image/jpeg=eog.desktop;
application/postscript=evince.desktop;gimp.desktop;
application/x-tgif=userapp-tgif-OJ3YHU.desktop;
text/html=firefox3.desktop;

which looks pretty awful to me. Openoffice.org 2.4.0 was upgraded ages
ago, and the .desktop files look wrong too.

Anyway following your advice and creating a defaults.list based on
  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=381555
using only the 2 lines for powerpoint

[Default Applications]
application/mspowerpoint=impress.desktop
application/vnd.ms-powerpoint=impress.desktop

I tried again, but with no visible change in behavior. (Also logged in
again in case the file was read in then)

impress.desktop exists in
/usr/local/openoffice.org-2.4.1/share/xdg/impress.desktop

Can you spot anything that might be wrong?

Again, no problems in nautilus, just in Evolution.

Actually, re-reading your e-mail and the changelog it seems that
defaults.list is for GIO which is used by Nautilus which is ok. It is
Evolution (using GVFS) that I need to fix ...

Lachlan