Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 20:41:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        fabry@panam.edu (Alain G. Fabry)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where can I find FreeBSD for Alpha...

According to Alain G. Fabry:
> Am subscribed to freebsd-questions and they mentioned there was an Alpha
> port for FreeBSD.
> Where can I find this to do an installation on my DEC Alpha?

Not that I've been tracking the alpha port TOO closely, but I believe it's
NOT for newbies, quite yet. I think there are SNAPs available, but they
don't yet hold quite the same quility as the x86 counterparts.
If you're feeling brave, and not completely lost, then I would recommend
you to join this mailinglist and read it for a week or so, and pick up some
vibes. Then go get a SNAP, or so, and try installing it.

Also...
first, check out this URL:  http://www.freebsd.org/alpha/alpha.html
second, if you're going to ask "can i run FreeBSD on this hardware" you need
to tell people on this list EXACTLY what "DEC Alpha" you're talking about.
There are quite a few models, and not all are supported.

  /Mikael