Date:      02 Apr 1998 07:46:29 -0600
From:      Dave Marquardt <marquard@zilker.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipv6 support for FreeBSD2.2.5 ?

Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi> writes:
> Dave Marquardt writes:
>  > "Jari Pöyhönen" <eejapo@tpu.fi> writes:
>  > > Does FreeBSD v.2.2.5 support ipv6(intrenet protocol version 6)?
>  > > and if it does, what kind of support it has for it ?
>  >
>  > Gee, I just answered this last week.  Please consult the mailing list
>  > archives in the future.
>  >
>  > You can get IPv6 source code that is easily added to FreeBSD from
>  > <URL:ftp://ftp.inria.fr/network/ipv6>.
>  >
> Judging from the number of requests for IPv6 recently, I would say
> there should be consideration of including it into current. ?

Well, both IPv6 is still a bit of a moving target, but on the other
hand, current is bleeding edge.  I believe someone at INRIA also did a
port of the INRIA IPv6 code to current, so it's certainly doable.

The bigger problem I see is keeping in synch with INRIA.  Since IPv6
is a moving target, so's the INRIA code.

Francis Dupont and his team have made it easy to add the code to
FreeBSD at various release levels.  They provide the changed files,
and you just unpack them on top of /usr/src, build world, and away you
go.

The INRIA code also runs on NetBSD, and in my day job, I'm part of a
team that ported the INRIA code to IBM's AIX.

-Dave