Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:11:56 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Raymond Brighenti <bargi@webfront.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help using diff or cpio for DPT Smartraid V files

On Thursday, 24 February 2000 at 19:29:51 +1100, Raymond Brighenti wrote:

>>> We have a machine with a DTP Smartraid V controler and wish to get
>>> the Raid working.  Simon Shapiro has generously written the code
>>> (ftp://simon-shapiro.org/crash/patches/RELENG_3/) to support these
>>> beasties but I'm a bit confused to how to use the files.
>>>
>>> Do I install FreeBSD first and then somehow apply the files and
>>> recompile the kernel?
>>
>> I suppose so.  You should ask Simon.
>
> Didn't want to hassle him if I could help it

Looks like you need help.

>>> Perhaps it's worth waiting for the next release of FreeBSD does
>>> anyone know going to be included?
>>
>> I'm pretty sure it won't be in 4.0.
>>
>> What does your subject refer to?
>
> I'm just trying to find out how to use cpio or diff I guess to apply
> the changes.

No, they're not appropriate.  cpio is a backup program, and diff is a
program for creating patches, not merging them.  What you need is
patch(1).

> On the website there's the patch files or cpio archive to download,
> from what I can make out it extracts the files needed.

OK, if it's in cpio format, you first need to extract it with cpio.
The man page is your friend.

> There isn't much in the way of instructions, I thought perhaps there
> is a specific directory that I extract it from and maybe some other
> procedures that are perhaps common to applying these sorts of
> things.

Hmm.  There's quite a bit of background, which I describe in "Porting
UNIX Software", but I don't have time to go look at the patches.  As I
said, Simon's the best person to ask.  Otherwise somebody else on this
list might be interested.

Greg