Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 15:51:00 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'Jason Brazile' <jason@netcetera.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: make bug? (dependency names with '$')

Dear Jason,

>   I want to construct a portable Makefile to build a java application.

I've played with Java and Make in the past, but I found that spawning a new
instance of the Java compiler is more expensive than compiling a pretty big
bunch of files. gcc starts up a lot quicker than a JVM.

My solution (ahem) is to compile per (sub)package of my application and
simply let the JAR file depend on all of the source files. Compiling this
way is quicker in the majority of cases that I have.

Have you looked at Apache's Ant project? I don't like it myself, but if you
want a portable make, you might as well use a Java one. :)

    Kees Jan