Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:19:45 -0800
From:      Bill Trost <trost@cloud.rain.com>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fujitsu 635Tx: interim report

[Sorry if this is a rerun for some of you, but it looks to me like this message
got lost in The Great Disk Failure]

The machine arrived about a week ago.  It is now running a version of
2.2-stable from October or so.  I have a cheap NE2000 clone that I have
yet to try under FreeBSD (I seem to have version skew between pccardd and
pccard.conf), but it seems to work pretty well otherwise.  I did fips myself
into never-neverland at one point -- thankfully, my very, very first act after
unwrapping the machine was to back it up.  Some things I have observed:

  * In the process of adding an "x" to the end of the machine name, they
  managed to sneak a NeoMagic video chip in in place of the C&T 65550.
  Needless to say, XFree86 doesn't work too well, although I did manage to get
  a working but wacky 640x600 (yup, 640x600) out of XF86_VGA16.  800x600 looked
  OK, except it was shifted exactly 80 pixels to the right, which makes reading
  the right edge a wee bit difficult.  Nothing seemed to affect the horizontal
  placement of the image.  (Another annoyance, apparently with the entire
  series, is that there is a single 16550A shared between the serial port and
  the built-in modem, and the binding has to be changed in firmware.  But the
  IR port has a 16550A of its own...).

  * I can "warm undock" (undock while suspended) the machine with no problems
  (the dock contains little more than a floppy and CD-ROM drives).  Trying to
  access the CD-ROM while undock proved catastrophic the one time I tried it,
  however (all who are surprised, raise their hands (-: ). Oh, and I have not
  yet tested the joystick port.

  * I installed (well, restore'd) the entire OS via a hardwired SLIP link.
  That worked fine, but the first time I tried to use SLIP in multi-user mode,
  I started getting one silo overflow per packet (a serious throughput hit
  (-:  ). PPP has the same problem. I do not understand why this is a problem
  -- either I misconfigured the kernel, or the hardware, or something else is
  wrong.  Any tips would be appreciated.