Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 00:44:55 -0500
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cheapest laptop for FreeBSD? winmodems?

In message <398905DE.F44D9BDA@S1.com>, Harry Woodward-Clarke wrote:
} Hi Jon,
}
} > Well, be careful what you wish for: it _has_ two slots, but only one is
} > usable at a time according to my reading of their point-of-sale
} > propaganda
} > (one is type III and one is type II).
} >
}
} as I understand this "Type II / Type III" stuff is that a Type III
} PC-Card is twice as thick (usually) as a Type II, thus you can fit only
} one Type III card into the slot. Type III devices, I believe, can be
} things like disk-drives and such, needing both PC-busses to transfer
} data at a 'reasonable' rate. I could be wrong about this last.
}
} AFAIK you can have 2 x Type II devices in the machine at the same time.

That might be; the propaganda clearly stated that you could have one
type II _OR_ one type III, but I admit to knowing nothing more about
PCMCIA than was necessary to make my card work.  Looking at the profile
though, I see my 16 bit card is too wide to fit in the "top" slot, so
if it's a type II, you definitely couldn't put two of it in at once.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com