Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 15:32:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        capriott@uol.com.br, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  Connecting MACs to Free ?

Capriotti <capriott@uol.com.br> writes:

> Any suggestion on how to connect MACs to a Free ?
>
> Use TCP/IP ?

Really depends on what you want the connection to do. Using ethernet?
serial port? modem?

To login to my FreeBSD systems from my Macintoshs I use NCSA Telenet and
MacTCP. Nothing special is needed on the FreeBSD end.       ^Telnet^
(I really ought to get better at Mail/mailx thru telnet if I continue to
spell like this)

Add FreePPP to the above for modem/serial line use. You'll have to do a
bit of configuring on the FreeBSD side for ppp or pppd (your choice).

If you want your FreeBSD system to be an equal peer on the Mac network
(the above was making the Mac conform to TCP/IP) then you need FreeBSD 2.2
or newer with NETATALK compiled into the kernel. And the external components
for netatalk (start at http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/) to make a
fileserver, printserver, and timeserver, out of your FreeBSD system.

Netatalk requires ethernet.

Eudora Lite (http://www.eudora.com/) is an excellent free Mac email client.
Add popper from FreeBSD's ports collection to make a server out of your
FreeBSD system.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@tomcat1.tbe.com (wk), dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)