Date:      Sun, 29 Mar 1998 21:58:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mixed DES and MD5 password file

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Philippe Regnauld wrote:

> Hi people.
>
> I'm in the process of upgrading a couple of Linux web servers to
> FreeBSD.  Question is, I'd like to use md5 on the FreeBSD box,
> but I'd also like to be able to use the old password files.
>
> I know this has been brought up before (ways to have crypt()
> recognize both formats), but I can't find the exact method
> in the archives) -- any help appreciated.

This isn't possible, I don't think.  In order to use MD5 everything has to
be in MD5 format, but the old passwords are in DES. The replacement
libcrypt replaces the MD5 crypt() routine with the DES one. You can't
decrypt DES very easily, so I think you're stuck with DES unless you can
hack the des libs and I'm not sure that's easily done.  You'd have to take
a look at them.