Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 22:56:39 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bus/Processor specific I/O methods - was Re: Beginning SPARC port

Darren Reed scribbled this message on Dec 15:
> In some mail from John-Mark Gurney, sie said:
> >
> > actually, after reading the man pages... I found the BEST way to describe
> > bus.h... it's just a subset of what I want to do...  bus.h only describes
> > how to interact with mem/io ranges by the cpu...  my bus/device code
> > does a lot more than that...  it keeps keeps track of ALL bus resources..
> >
> > my bus/device code is best described as a complete device management
> > system than a bus interface mechanism...
> >
> > I have larger plans for my code than just managing hardware devices...
> > the code will be VERY simply to expand it to support such things as
> > using to keep track of char/block devices, and other things... with a
> > common interface.. it will be VERY easy to create something like the
> > win95's list of system devices that is VERY complete...
>
> Hmmm, here's a question for you...
> How long before FreeBSD has an 10-MB kernel at boot-time, just like NT ?
> (Well, minus whatever bloat there is for the GUI)

hmm... here's a question for you...
how much kernel work have you done in making the freebsd kernel as small
as possible??  with the changes that I'm working on... the ONLY things
neccessary in a static kernel will be the boot device (be it network
card or hard disk), and file system for modules...   then the rest will
be dynamicly loaded...

so, does the above comment say that you have a better layer already
implemented and ready to go, just waiting for review and committing?
if not, then don't go and asume that EVERYTHING that mentions microsoft
is a bad thing...  did I say it was even going to work like microsoft's
products??

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T MAKE COMMENTS
ABOUT CODE (or a spec) YOU'VE NEVER SEEN (Heck, I haven't even seen
the code yet :) ).  but please do read the spec and tell me how to
improve the code.  The current spec is at:
http://resnet.uoregon.edu:6971/~jmg/FreeBSD/busdevice.html

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD