Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 2014 17:34:50 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd@jonathanprice.org
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Should I be using ipv6_activate_all_interfaces or ip6addrctl_policy="ipv6_prefer"

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 3:40 AM, <freebsd@jonathanprice.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am configuring a server with IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and have noticed
> that FreeBSD seems to be preferring IPv4, such as when establishing SSH
> connections.
>
> After reading through /etc/defaults/rc.conf, and later
> /etc/rc.d/ip6addrctl I have come to the conclusion that I have two ways to
> tell FreeBSD to prefer IPv6:
>
> 1) Add ipv6_activate_all_interfaces to /etc/rc.conf
> 2) Add ip6addrctl_policy="ipv6_prefer" to /etc/rc.conf
>
> Could anybody with a little more knowledge on the matter explain to me
> which of the two options is more preferential?
>
> If it helps, I only have a single NIC in the server, and it does not
> function as a gateway.
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan.

Can you confirm that IPv6 is actually working between the systems in
question? ping6 to it is a trivial test.Many issues can arise when trying
ot get IPv6 running. Firewalls are a common issue.
What output do you get from "ip6addrctl show"? netstat -rnf inet6?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com