Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 16:35:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        nick.hibma@jrc.it, tlambert@primenet.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

According to Terry Lambert:
> [ ... Redirected to -chat ... ]
>
> >     > Discussions of highly technical issues require *precise* language.
> >     > This is why all highly technical fields develop their own jargon.
> >
> > Highly technical, as in: ilk, bigotry, premise? :-) Nope, that was an
> > excursion into the land of poetry and was definitely not within the
> > jargon of the topic being discussed.
>
> "Premise" has specific connotations in formal logic.
>
> I would have a hard time finding a word adequate to replace "bigotry"
> or "bigot", and the bias on group membership/non-membership it was
> intended to imply.
>
> The use of the word "ilk" is much less formal, but I'm not the one
> who used that particular word.  8-).

	This is the message I was answering mid-morning when
	something happened to my ppp link.

	`bigot|bigotry' Terry just described.  `bias' may be
	s simpler word, tho not by much.  I believe that a
	bigot referred to a (big) man with a mustache: someone
	who is intolerant.  Spanish, I believe.

	`ilk' has Scots roots and means `type' or `kind' .

	The last one the Nick questioned was `grasp' I
	seem to recall.  I think I used to to mean apprehend,
	understand.   `grasp' has middle-English roots.

	Okay, I'll stay away from them-thar big (or non-standard)
	words.

	gary