Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 20:26:19 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>, Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>, Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>, Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: advocacy site

On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 02:05:37PM -0400, Bill Fumerola wrote:
> Might I add that the site would get another 160+ potential authors/editors
> by bringing it into the tree.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here yet, but there are a couple
of issues to be resolved before it's bought in to the tree:

  1.  Multi-language support.  I don't doubt our various translation teams
      would be interested in translating the content to different languages.
      Do the tools that the advocacy site use (backend database, et al)
      and their current configuration (table schema, and so on) support this?

      That's without the slightly thorny problem of supporting multiple
      character sets.

      If not, this should be fixed first.

  2.  How are we going to mirror it?  The current FreeBSD web site (because
      it's mostly static content) is nice and easy to mirror.  Something
      that's primarily database driven won't be.

  3.  How are we going to do change control on the content that's stored in
      the database?

None of these are insurmountable problems, but they do need addressing.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>