Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 07:20:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Greg Quinlan <gwq_uk@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named BROKEN?

Thanks Kevin,

I heard you the first time! (That was an e-mail typo' I am sorry to say... it
actually read 2002030401.. I should have cut & pasted instead of typing it).

The date format of YYYYMMDD01 is always used! I have automated the DNS with
shell scripts that plug-in automatically, the current date (any time the zone
files are rebuilt), and this only happens when the /etc/hosts file changes.

The only possible way this could have got out of sync is if the date on the
system somehow was out of sync, but because the system uses "ntp", I find that
hard to believe too.

At no point are the files edited manually .... so you can see my dilemma. (I
just find it almost impossible, to have had a larger serial number!)

I will keep looking, but since all zone files are given exactly the same serial
number each time the system automatically rebuilds these files (and the scripts
rebuild all zone files every time) .... well, it is a puzzle why only one zone
file fails.

It is only a new system, so there is a remote possibility that the System date
was initially out of sync when the hardware was delivered...a month ago, I will
check older message files, but that does not make sense either based on what I
have just said about how the files are built!

Thanks

Greg