Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 03:40:58 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-audit@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Changes to pw/pw_user.c

I sent this message off about 12 hours ago, and I have not seen
it appear anywhere.  Since then I have received plenty of other
messages on the mailing lists (including messages I sent after
I sent this one).  So, I'm resending this one...

On Jan 24/2003, Max Khon wrote to freebsd-current:
>hi, there!
>
>Can we enable using '$' in usernames in pw?
>The patch is attached.
>
>Other variant is to enable using '$' only at end of user name.

Here is a patch which allows a '$' as the last character of a
userid or a group name.  Technically this is based on a patch
that Terry Lambert wrote, but by the time I was done with it I
imagine it's not recognizable.  This has been tested on i386
and sparc64 (beast.freebsd.org seems to be down right now, so I
can't do a test-compile on alpha).

This version of the patch only changes the pw_checkname() routine,
and also includes the previous version of pw_checkname() so you
can see how both the old and new routines behave on any given
value.  This also improves the error messages, and (IMO) makes
the routine a lot easier to follow.

Assuming there are no objections to this, I plan to rip out
everything that's between the #ifdef/endif's of TESTING_PW, and
commit the rest to -current sometime next week.  I have no plans
to MFC this change, but I'll also do that if people want it MFC'ed.

Please look it over, and maybe run it through some tests, and
let me know of any feedback to it.  (Should this print out some
kind of warning message that using '$' is generally not a good
idea?)

Instead of including the patch in my message (which I did the
first time), I've put it up at:

  http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/pw/pw_user-c.diff