Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:31:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sam <sah@softcardsystems.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: option directive and turning on AOE

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Peter Wemm wrote:

> On Tuesday 31 August 2004 03:28 pm, Andre Oppermann wrote:
>> Brooks Davis wrote:

>>> Another option might be a PFIL hook.  There isn't one there now,
>>> but I think I've seen talk of adding one.  Actually, if we did
>>> that, we could get most of the netgraph specific hooks out of the
>>> ethernet code.
>>
>> What is AoE?  And what kind of Frames does it come in?
>
> ATA-over-Ethernet?
> http://news.gw.com/freebsd.arch/12939
> (Ethernet frame type 0x88a2 apparently)
> --

Yes, that is correct.  It is a very simple RPC protocol
for packaging up ATA commands and sending them over
Ethernet to a server that will issue them to its
attached device.  I can supply the protocol to anyone
who is interested (8 pages), just shoot me an e-mail.

In case you're wondering why: http://www.coraid.com.

Sam