Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 1995 07:41:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@clark.net>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>, bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: originally a newsgroup post, but news server here isn't working

I loaded with 16 megs of swap on wd1s2b -- the first time I tried to
install, it didn't make it to mounting the swap before conking out..  It
might be the docs -- sometimes when I tried pressing f1 for help it would
show the docs -- sometimes some of the docs (eg., it would break off some
way into them), and sometimes it would tell me that the help file (for
the slices, for example) wasn't included on this boot floppy (although
later I viewed them fine?).  After I had some initial labels written, it
started mounting the swap fine (after a boot or two.)  Once the swap was
mounted on a fresh boot, three processes were killed every time through
by vm_pager for lack of swap before swap was loaded, but later stuff
(like newfs) survived.  Essentially, if I looked at the debug screen
while dialing out with term under ppp, I'd see that three processes had
been killed.

BTW, the in kernel config stuff (-c) is great.. just configured my
ethernet card with no hassles ;).  I'll recompile and trim the kernel
anyway though, given my distinct lack of ram.  FreeBSD under 4 megs
(text) is pretty snappy though..  I was pleasently surprised.  X was a
little slow (not surprisingly) -- but I found that it worked fine as long
as I tried not to load too many processes locally.  If I went to a window
manager off-system, killed all but one xterm, and only used that for
transport to other systems and to play with authentification, It went
reasonably well (although the window manager performance over a PPP line
was sluggish ;).  Amazing what you can do on a 386 ;).

Robert Watson   rwatson@sidwell.edu   http://www.sidwell.edu/~rwatson/
The goal of science is to build better mousetraps.  The goal of nature
is to build better mice.