Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 15:19:28 +0700
From:      "Tolpanov, Dmitry" <tdn@stack.ru>
To:        "'freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   POP3 or IMAP.

Hi.

We are prividing e-mail service. Our clients keep there mail on the FreeBSD
box and get mail using POP3. We know that our POP3 server (popper) use
plaintext authentication and we don't like this. Now we have to find a good
replacement for popper. It should:

1. Support more secure authentication;
2. Be supported by most e-mail clients.

I think it will good enouth any server with APOP support, but I can't find
any port for FreeBSD. May someone advice something.

And another thing. As most of e-mail clients now support IMAP4 and as it is
more progressive and promising may be it is good idea to install IMAP
server. But I can't find what type of authentication it use. Any advise
appreciated.

Thanks.

Dmitry.