Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 15:23:28 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DNS primary secondary question

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Dru wrote:

> Hi Evren,
>
> from "man 5 resolver":
>
>      nameserver  Internet address (in dot notation) of a name server that the
> 		 resolver should query.  Up to MAXNS (currently 3) name
> 		 servers may be listed, one per keyword.  If there are multi-
> 		 ple servers, the resolver library queries them in the order
> 		 listed.  If no nameserver entries are present, the default is
> 		 to use the name server on the local machine.  (The algorithm
> 		 used is to try a name server, and if the query times out, try
> 		 the next, until out of name servers, then repeat trying all
> 		 the name servers until a maximum number of retries are made).
>
> Dru
>

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
>
> > actually I wondered when you set for a domain name primary server as
> > x.x.x.x and secondary server as y.y.y.y then the resolver contacts with
> > primary server or secondary server or both? I mean the name servers
> > listed on the whois output...

Nice quote, but it describes the behaviour of the resolver on entries in
/etc/resolv.conf, which is not what was being asked, as far as I can
tell.

The DNS system as a whole cannot tell the difference between a primary
and secondary nameserver for a domain. The whole notion is one of
expediency of configuration. Whois and domain registration still list
two nameservers (primary and secondary) because it attempts redundancy
(that's why two): the primary and secondary distinction there
was initially kinda intended to reflect that people would run their own
nameserver for a domain (the primary) and get somebody else offsite to
host the secondary.

Your machine will query the nameservers listed in /etc/resolv.conf in
order when it attempts to resolve a DNS query (ie, punting the question
to a named somewhere).

named itself will pick a NS for a remote domain
out of the list of NSs for that domain, for each query: each remote NS
will be hit 1/n of the time (roughly), where there are n remote NS for
that domain.

As clear as mud..?

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
Scrabble gematria: "BIBLE" = "DOGMA"