Date:      Sun, 06 Jun 1999 12:44:14 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape, 3.x, and -DWANT_AOUT

Nik Clayton wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 06, 1999 at 08:22:03AM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > > Am I right in thinking that before I can run Netscape 4.x on a FreeBSD
> > > 3.x system, that system must have been compiled with "-DWANT_AOUT"?
> > >
> > > Or does ports/www/netscape46-navigator work on a wholly Elf system?
> >
> > I have been sort of waiting for someone to answer that. I am running
> > 3.2-stable and I didn't use "-DWANT_AOUT" in the buildworld.
>
> Did you use "make world" from a pre-existing 2.2.x system?

Well, that is where the problem is. It didn't start out as a 2.2.x
system but there were a number of build worlds before 3.2-release was
created. I think this system started out as a 3.1-release and then
upgraded to 3.1-stable. The old HD, which was 70% full, was an
educational mistake. I upgraded to current and found I was trying to run
4.0-current. My system didn't fully appreciate that situation. There
really wasn't anything important in the system, so I pulled the drive,
replaced it with a 13GB Maxtor, and installed the 3.1-release from the
CD's onto a 4GB partition. It didn't run as a 3.1-release very long.
That is where I remember starting the 3.x-stable chain.

I didn't remove anything but did build worlds of 3.1-stable when they
were still creating the aout directory by default. That was eventually
changed and it was removed from /usr/obj/... tree but I probably still
have remnants behind. I noticed when you needed to add "-DWANT_AOUT"
because the buildworld time dropped around 1000 seconds. The change in
the wallclock time was on the order of 3:25 to 2:xx. About this time, as
a test, the motherboard was replaced with a Asus P2B-B and a Celeron
433. The HD drive speed went from PIO 4 to UDMA 33. I haven't been using
the other system as much as I anticipated and the Asus setup is running
quite nicely in the FreeBSD box. I can see the difference between PC-66
memory and PC-100 on two comparable systems running "setiathome" and
that could rearrange things.

I probably need to create the aout files and will have to figure out how
to add aout option to the buildworld as a default. Everything else has
been almost KISS simple and I don't expect anything to change. Adding
the aout option back to a buildworld on the current system will probably
raise the time to around an hour.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart