Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 17:46:20 -0500
From:      Mark Hendriks <markh@lon.imag.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        rdybiec@frognet.net
Subject:   Re: Hayes modem

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Richard Dybiec wrote:
> I recently puchased a Hayes 'Accura' PCI modem believing the 'universal
> compatibility' statement on the box.
> I contacted Hayes support and was told that  "the Accura PCI modem is
> only compatible with Windows OSs"
>
> Is this true?

Modems can be divided into two camps: hardware modems and software modems,
also called 'Winmodems.'  FreeBSD can use any hardware modem.  There
aren't any software modems that are supported by FreeBSD.  Hayes'
statement makes it sound like the Acura is a software modem.

>  Has anyone used this modem with FreeBSD?  Does their
> statement mean only that Hayes does not provide a FreeBSD driver?

As far as I know (given my limited knowledge,) there aren't any hardware
manufacturers that provide FreeBSD drivers.  FreeBSD drivers are written
when hardware manufacturers release technical information so that a member
of the FreeBSD community can write write said driver.

> How would I determine which modems will be usable under FreeBSD?

When you take your "Acura" back to the store, make sure you ask for a
hardware modem.  You should also ask for an ISA modem.  Can anyone else
here answer whether or not the serial driver has been updated to support
PCI?

The reason software modems, or 'Winmodems' have become popular is that
they supposedly cost much less than hardware modems.  This is only true if
the only hardware modem you compare against is a USRobotics.  I picked up
an ISA hardware modem for $75 CDN, or about $60 US - about the price of
the better software modems.  You can pick up software modems for less than
this, but even the best software modem just does not perform as well as a
cheap hardware modem.

Mark Hendriks
markh@lon.imag.net